After Placement of Dental Implants
- When you leave, you will have gauze at the surgical site. Bite down gently. You will change the gauze every 30 minutes until the bleeding stops.
- When you get home, take the gauze out. Have something to eat and then replace a fresh piece of gauze.
- Today’s diet will be cool and liquidy: ice cream, pudding, jello, yogurt, cottage cheese, apple sauce, etc.
- Tomorrow’s diet will be warm and soft: mashed potatoes, pasta, pancakes, eggs…And then you may advance as tolerated the following days.
- AVOID: acidic foods and juices, carbonated drinks and mouthwash as these may burn and sting.
- NO RINSING for 3 days. Nice and gentle.
- You will resume using the Natural Dentist Mouth Rrinse that you began pre-op 3 days after surgery. NO RINSING. This is to be done two times a day until the bottle is gone. You may also use warm salt water as well to insure the surgical area remains clean. Salt water soaks will promote healing.
- You may brush your teeth as normal avoiding the surgical area. NO SPITTING. Refrain from using an electric toothbrush or a water pick.
- AVOID: Rinsing, spitting, gargling, sucking through a straw and smoking. NO SMOKING for 72 hours.
- CONTINUE ANTIBIOTIC UNTIL COMPLETELY GONE.
- If not contraindicated, you will take one Motrin 600 mg tablet every 6 hours for the first 48 hours NO MATTER WHAT! This is mainly to help get ahead of swelling but it will also help keep you comfortable.
- You may also be given a script for stronger pain medicine if you should need it. Pain is personal and different for everyone.
- Apply ice on the outside of your face (on the side Implant was placed) – 30 minutes on/30 minutes off – for the first 2 days including the day of surgery and the next day.
- On the 3rd day post-op, discontinue ice and start warm, moist heat to outside of face. This will help to return circulation to the area and will help decrease the swelling. 20 minutes on/20 minutes off.
- Stitches will dissolve on their own in 5-7 days after surgery.
Ready to Improve Your Smile?
Call us with any questions or to make an appointment!